|Advanced Risk Management for Mortgage Pros - Washington, DC
Monday, June 3 - Wednesday, June 5, 2019
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM EST each day.
Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center
Robert H. Smith School of Business Suite (In the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center)
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20004
Hotel Registration Information:
- All registrants are responsible for making their own hotel accommodations.
- Please click here to see hotels in close proximity to the course location.
Companies interested in sending 3 or more attendees are eligible to receive a 10% discount off of each registration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for this discount.
In collaboration with...
The Risk Management Advanced Training Program covers topics essential to effective mortgage risk management for mortgage and commercial banks. This program is intended for mid- to senior-level mortgage risk professionals looking to sharpen their knowledge and skills in mortgage risk management. The 3-day program features 8 separate learning sessions and reinforces core risk concepts using real world applications and exercises drawn from actual experiences of the faculty who are or have been senior executive-level practitioners in risk management. An additional session at the end of the third day features a team-based risk management simulation requiring attendees to leverage what they have learned from the sessions.
Attendees should expect to understand:
- The Role of Risk Governance in Overseeing Mortgage Risk
- Risk Management for Mortgage Originations
- Secondary Risk Management
- Risk Management for Mortgage Servicing
- Best Practices in Mortgage Portfolio Lending
- Improving Operational Risk Management in the Real Estate Sector
- Managing Regulatory and Compliance Risks
Lesson 1: The Role of Risk Governance in Overseeing Mortgage Risk
Lesson 2: Risk Management for Mortgage Originations
- Delegations of Authority
- Heightened Expectations Guidance
- Three Lines of Defense and Roles and Responsibilities among the business, corporate risk and audit functions
- Boards and Risk Committees
- Governance and escalation policies
- Risk appetite formation
- Risk Taxonomy
- Key Risk Indicator (KRI) setting and incentive compensation plans
Lesson 3: Secondary Risk Management
- Basic tenets of well-formed credit policy and guidelines
- Exception policy practices
- Underwriting practices
- Quality Assurance (QA) practices and sampling strategies and techniques
- Appraisal practices
- AVM and AUS policy and use
- Product development best practices and what to look out for
- CRE ratings practices, Loan Review and beyond
- Managing correspondent and wholesale counterparty risk
Lesson 4: Risk Management for Mortgage Servicing
- Understanding mortgage pricing and where risk fits in
- Best execution strategy
- Mortgage pipeline hedging practices
- Credit risk transfer mechanisms
- Mortgage insurance basics
- Recourse and Reps & Warrants
Lesson 5: Best Practices in Mortgage Portfolio Lending
- Understanding and managing mortgage servicing rights (MSRs)
- Loss mitigation techniques: Default and collections practices and impact on mitigating credit losses
Lesson 6: Improving Operational Risk Management in the Real Estate Sector
- Optimizing the portfolio's risk profile - competing risks of default and prepayment
- Basics of interest rate risk
- ALCO for the mortgage portfolio
- Current loan loss reserving practices and CECL including Troubled Debt Restructuring (TDRs) and Other than Temporary Impairment (OTTI) treatment
- Economic capital determination
- Regulatory capital determination
- Stress testing and scenario analysis
- Risk management reporting
Lesson 7: Managing Regulatory and Compliance Risks
- Development of risk-control self-assessment (RCSA) processes
- Building a robust fraud detection process
- Estimating operational losses and event identification practices
- Cyber risk management practices
Risk Management Simulation Exercise
- Understanding fair lending risk and how to test
- Basics in mortgage compliance (TRID, QM, CRA, HMDA, Mortgage Servicing, etc)
- Vendor risk management
- Team-based exercise placing attendees into a simulated risk scenario that they have to manage
- Draws upon key topics discussed in each learning session
- Post-exercise debrief on team responses, outcomes and assessment
Download the 2019 Advanced Risk Management for Mortgage Pros - Washington, DC Agenda to learn more about the program.
Who Should Attend?
- Mid to Senior-Level Risk Management Professionals
- Clifford Rossi, Professor of the Practice & Executive-in-Residence, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland
- Jerra H. Ryan, Senior Vice President, Compliance, First Choice Loan Services Inc.
- Parag Pandya, Chief Risk Officer, Single Family, Enterprise Risk Management, Fannie Mae
- Ed Martin, Chief Risk Officer, Capital Markets, Fannie Mae
- Andrew Brammer, Vice President, Counterparty Credit Risk, Fannie Mae
MBA Diversity and Inclusion scholarship opportunities are available for this offering. Click HERE for more information.